Nokia to buy Trolltech
Nokia buys Trolltech!
You may be thinking who? Trolltech are the company that makes the graphical toolkit which is the foundation of the “other” desktop software set for Linux – KDE. The other main platform of course being Gnome.
Another major acquisition of a big player in the Open Source ecosystem. Things are really hotting up! Rather helpfully, they have identified the “key messages” from the announcement:
- The acquisition supports Trolltech’s company vision of driving Qt adoption in the commercial and open source markets (Qt Everywhere).
- The acquisition of Trolltech will enable Nokia to accelerate the cross-platform software strategy for mobile devices and desktop applications, and to develop its Internet services business.
- With Nokia, Trolltech’s Qt technology will grow significantly in the PC and mass-volume mobile devices markets.
- Nokia plans to continue to develop Trolltech’s products and continue to drive sales to new and existing customers.
- Acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory and Trolltech shareholder approval.
Here’s the full press release.